Tag: 深圳百花丛登陆


first_img News News RWB welcomes creation of press council and code of ethics June 29, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Australian journalist expelled Help by sharing this information November 7, 2013 Find out more Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières) protested at the East Timor government’s expulsion of Australian freelance journalist Julian King even though a court in Dili had cleared him of charges brought by the police.King was deported to Australia on 28 June on the orders of the interior ministry – the first major violation of press freedom since East Timor gained its independence in 2002.The appeal court had ordered the return of King’s passport, refused to remand him in custody and ruled that the police did not have sufficient evidence against him. King had been accused of “subversive” activities.The only established wrong committed by King was that he upset the government of Mari Alkatiri, said the international press freedom organisation, expressing dismay that the authorities had not respected the East Timor court ruling that King was not guilty.This contempt for the courts did nothing to enhance the standing of the country’s first democratic government, it said. Reporters Without Borders has written to President Xanana Gusmao asking him to intervene to allow the journalist to return.On arrival the same evening in Darwin, northern Australia, King said that he would appeal to the East Timor Supreme Court. His Timorese lawyer, Pedro de Oliveira, said the expulsion flew in the face of the evidence. He told the Associated Press, “The government is trying to cover up the fact that it lost this case before the court. This means that the government is stronger than the court.”The authorities in Dili have so far refused to confirm that King has been expelled. Despite some officials have been engaged on a campaign to discredit King who has lived in East Timor for more than four years.The Prime Minister, Mari Alkatiri, had successively accused King of taking part in the torching of his house and of destabilising government institutions. Foreign minister José Ramos-Horta accused Reporters Without Borders of being a “racist” organisation for defending King.The government has also tried to cast doubt on King’s journalist credentials. However, Reporters Without Borders has been able to check with Australian radio stations 2SERFM, 3CRFM and 4ZZZFM and the Australian Television News Agency that King did indeed work for them in East Timor.King, also a PhD student, was one of very few foreign journalists to speak the official language Tetun, which made it possible for him to closely follow political events in the country.  He was arrested on 5 May 2004 close to his Dili home. Police offices, including a former member of the Indonesian military, had planted munitions in his bedroom and seized a number of files particularly on corruption and about the Timor Gap agreement that allows Australia to exploit a significant part of the Timor Sea’s gas and oil reserves. Follow the news on Timor-Leste Timor-LesteAsia – Pacific RSF_en News The government expelled Australian freelance journalist Julian King (picture) although a court in the capital had cleared him of charges. Reporters Without Borders condemned this first major violation of press freedom since East Timor gained its independence in 2002. Timor-LesteAsia – Pacific June 23, 2020 Find out more Draconian bill would criminalize defamation in Timor-Leste Organisation to go further News Radio reporter stabbed while working on corruption story August 13, 2012 Find out morelast_img read more


first_img Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 WhatsApp AudioHomepage BannerNews RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Pinterest By News Highland – January 7, 2021 Donegal hardest hit with cattle thefts last year Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction Twitter Google+center_img Pinterest Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Google+ News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th DL Debate – 24/05/21 Facebook Donegal was hardest hit last year by cattle thefts from farms. Figures show that 26 cattle were stolen from farms in the county in 2020 over 1,000 reported stolen nationwide.There were also a significant number of trailers stolen and many instances, taken across the border.News Correspondent with the Irish Farmers Journal Hannah Quinn-Mulligan says while both the Gardai and the PSNI are working tirelessly on the issue, farmers can also implement some preventative measures:Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/hannah.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Previous articleTeachers ‘angry & worried’ over school reopening plansNext articleLUH ‘feeling the pressure’ as Covid admissions rise further News Highland Facebook Twitterlast_img read more


first_imgTHE Majority Stakeholders of Guyana’s Cricket (Berbice Cricket Board, the East Coast Cricket Board, Georgetown Cricket Association and Upper Demerara Cricket Association) have offered their sincerest congratulations to Richard Skerritt and to Dr Kishore Shallow on their ascendency to the presidency and the vice-presidency respectively of Cricket West Indies (CWI).Skerritt and Dr Shallow were elected last Sunday following the Cricket West Indies (CWI) elections held in Jamaica.In a release, the stakeholders said they are heartened and excited at this development and they know that the newly elected bosses’ strong, progressive and impartial leadership will revive the fortunes of our great game in the Region.Cricket-lovers throughout the region and beyond now eagerly anticipate the return of the West Indies to the pinnacle of world cricket under their capable leadership.The stakeholders said they are firm in their belief that the entire region is elated with their appointments and will rally round them and their committee in the interest of West Indies cricket.The stakeholders said therefore, they are looking forward to an urgent resolution to the crisis in the administration of Guyana’s cricket which has been ongoing since 2011.This includes the illegality of the current executives of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) as stated in a sworn affidavit emanating from the Ministry of the Presidency (with responsibility for Sport).Please be assured, the stakeholders said in offering their congratulations to the new Windies leadership, of our fullest support and cooperation as you commence to rebuild our beloved regional game both at the administrative and the playing levels.last_img read more


first_imgNestled around a bookshelf behind Ian McIntyre’s desk, there’s a ball from each postseason game he has coached at Syracuse. They’re signed by every SU player who was on the team for the game.Then there’s the ACC championship trophy sitting right by the door. Just six years ago, none of those trophies or balls were within McIntyre’s periphery. Now they’re in his rear view.Since he was hired at SU in 2010, McIntyre has turned around what was once a struggling program that had failed to reach an NCAA tournament game since 1984. In just six years, the program flipped from a 2-10-5 team floundering in the Big East to reaching a College Cup, college soccer’s final four.The transformation happened quicker than McIntyre and assistant coach Jukka Masalin would have thought.“The first year, we won two games,” McIntyre said before SU played Clemson last December. “If you had a conversation with me at the end of that season and said, ‘Yeah, five year’s time, we’re going to be ready to board a plane to go to the College Cup,’ I’d have hugged you … Or I’d have slapped you.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMcIntyre took over a program that had a 141-171-33 record in the 19 years prior to his arrival. Dean Foti had guided SU in each of those seasons, failing to reach the NCAA tournament in every one of them. In Foti’s final season, Syracuse posted a 3-15 record.Foti was a homegrown guy, playing for the Orange from 1979-82. He started for SU every year, was a two-time captain and helped the Orange win the inaugural Big East championship.But he had overstayed his welcome. Some of Foti’s players wrote a letter before his last season, intended for athletic director Daryl Gross. It called for Foti to be fired, and as a result, factions formed within the team in the head coach’s last year.Enter McIntyre, who had compiled a 71-36-25 record at Hartwick, where he played (he even faced SU in the Carrier Dome) as a collegiate soccer player. Now, in the last five seasons at SU including this one, McIntyre has put together a 60-22-7 record, rebounding from two tumultuous seasons in which SU finished a combined 5-22-6. In 2010, 5,873 people attended SU home games. That number has already been surpassed in four games this season. The changes McIntyre made have resonated for years, no matter how small.“It was brutal,” Masalin, who came to Syracuse with McIntyre, said of the early portion of his time at SU. “… It took a while to change that culture. A couple years we needed to dig pretty deep.”Sam Ogozalek | Contributing PhotographerThe first indication of how McIntyre’s first season would go came early on, when, per Masalin, several of SU’s players went abroad during the spring semester. There were players the coaches didn’t see until training for the new staff’s first season was about to start in the fall.One of McIntyre’s first moves was to recruit goalie Jeremy Vuolo and midfielder Nick Roydhouse from Hartwick to transfer. While Foti’s tenure was unsuccessful, he still had players who supported him when McIntyre took over.Vuolo and Roydhouse, “generals” as Masalin called them, had already bought into what McIntyre and Masalin had been preaching at Hartwick.In addition to selling Vuolo and Roydhouse on his vision for the program, McIntyre was able to draw them away from Hartwick with the SU brand. They visited SU when the Orange men’s basketball team played Villanova in the Carrier Dome on Feb. 27, 2010 and set an on-campus attendance record, just more than a month after McIntyre had been hired. The Orange’s brand had to be a selling point for recruits early on when SU had a combined five wins in two years.“You need to get your own guys in here who believe in what you do,” Masalin said.Immediately, McIntyre molded the fitness level of the team and its competitiveness. They started testing SU players’ fitness five to six times per year with a mix of running, muscular and body fat tests. During breaks, players received specific fitness plans. If they didn’t follow them or came up short in tests, McIntyre and Masalin would drill specific areas to get players where they expected them to be.Practice was no longer just a place to practice. McIntyre and Masalin made it more of a competition, tracking goals. The former said it wasn’t quite the “old-fashioned” way of pushing them mentally and physically, but it was intense.Some players hardly bought in during McIntyre’s first season. Some older players would consistently pull out of training with injuries.Former SU players Nick Perea, Jordan Murrell and Skylar Thomas came in as part of the 2011 recruiting class and got immediate playing time. At the time, bringing in their own players fractured the team, but SU had to go through a process of flushing out the “old” mentality.McIntyre wanted to transition his team from a mindset of survival — playing in games just to be in them — to a winning one. That season, Perea, Murrell and Thomas each started more than 85 percent of Syracuse’s games as freshmen.“They were thrown in the deep end,” McIntyre said of the players he recruited early on. “… The groundwork was laid by the guys that came in on the ground level and really had to fight and scrap to move forward.”Daily Orange File PhotoCurrent assistant coach Andrew Coughlin started to see change early before the 2012 season when he played goalie for SU. The coaching staff brought in players who wanted to continue their soccer careers beyond college, he said, which made them more receptive to intense training.Although Coughlin couldn’t point to a specific moment where the program started changing, he remembered when Murrell yelled at him in training because Coughlin gave up a goal both knew he shouldn’t give up. That was symbolic of a shift from survival to believing the team could be better. Players started holding each other accountable. 2012 proved to be the year McIntyre turned the program around. SU went 14-6-1.“It was kind of a ‘You have nothing to lose attitude’ because we only had three wins the year before,” Coughlin said.By 2013, SU posted a record of 10-7-1. In 2014, the Orange earned the first No. 1 ranking in program history. And last year, Syracuse won its first conference championship since 1985 before advancing to college soccer’s version of the Final Four.McIntyre, sitting behind his desk, picked up a ball turned it in his hands. He cherishes each because he’s seen the depths the program had to sink just to rise as far as it has.But while he cherishes them, he also understands the flip side: The soccer balls and their significance are behind him for a reason. It’s the ones ahead that count.“A great year has no impact on us moving forward,” McIntyre said.He put the ball back in place then swiveled forward in his chair. Everything behind him left his view.“I hope we’ll get a chance at some stage to add to those soccer balls.” Comments Related Stories Chris Nanco improves finishing ability in senior seasonMiles Robinson sets up Syracuse to win, 3-2, in overtime against St. John’sSyracuse men’s soccer takes down St. John’s, 3-2, on Jonathan Hagman’s overtime goal Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Published on September 8, 2016 at 12:40 am Contact Chris: [email protected] | @ChrisLibonatilast_img read more

Recent Comments