Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years to go further News News IndonesiaAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders calls on communication and information minister Tifatul Sembiring to rescind his announced plans for Internet filtering. According to the minister, Indonesia’s more than 200 Internet service providers have agreed to begin blocking access to porn sites today, the start of the holy month of Ramadan.“This measure is absolutely pointless, it is complicated to implement and it could set a dangerous precedent for freedom of expression,” Reporters Without Borders said.There are many reasons for opposing this policy. No list of sites to be banned has been given to ISPs, which will have to decide for themselves which sites should be blocked. Filtering websites inevitably causes collateral damage by blocking other websites with no direct link to pornography. It will also slow down connection speeds throughout the country.Once the mechanism has been put in place, the authorities will be tempted to extend the filtering to more controversial and ill-defined areas such as violation of moral standards.The filtering was prompted by the circulation of videos purportedly showing a well-known pop singer having sex with two TV presenters. This led to the Internet being blamed for a decline in values in Indonesian society.The directive that the minister sent to ISPs instructing them to implement the filtering has not been published. But those that fail to comply have been threatened with closure. The ISPs have objected to the measure because on the grounds that it will be difficult to implement. Indonesia seems determined to control the evolution of new technologies. (http://en.rsf.org/arabie-saoudite-research-in-motion-under-pressure-06-0…) August 11, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Government orders ISPs to start anti-porn filtering News On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia Receive email alerts Melanesia: Facebook algorithms censor article about press freedom in West Papua August 21, 2020 Find out more IndonesiaAsia – Pacific November 19, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Indonesia News Organisation RSF_en August 12, 2020 Find out more
A lot has been said and written about in terms of the playing and songwriting abilities of former Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour. Pink Floyd was already one of rock music’s top emerging bands by the time 1970 rolled around, as Gilmour had been added to the group just a few years prior in December 1967. It turns out that Gilmour had an abundance of musical abilities aside from just performing, as the guitarist recently revealed that he was one of the audio techs behind the soundboards to help mix Jimi Hendrix‘s performance at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival.Related: Watch “Light My Fire” From The Doors’ Final Filmed Set At Isle Of Wight 1970According to a new interview with Gilmour published in Prog magazine, Gilmour happened to be at the well-attended music festival and stepped up to help mix Jimi’s performance when the event’s production team was short-staffed.“I went down to go to [the festival] and I was camping in a tent, just being a punter,” Gilmour admitted in the new interview. “I went backstage where our main roadie guy, Peter Watts, was trying to deal with all the mayhem, with Charlie Watkins of WEM … They were very nervous; they were going to have to mix Hendrix’s sound. I did some mixing stuff in those days and they said ‘Help! Help!’ so I did.”Gilmour must have done a pretty good job behind the boards, as Hendrix and his band went on to deliver an epic 18-song performance which included a cover of The Beatles‘ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”, Bob Dylan‘s “All Along the Watchtower“, in addition to originals like “Freedom”, “Red House”, “Foxy Lady”, and “Purple Haze“. Fans can watch the video below to see some interview and performance footage of Hendrix from that late summer day in 1970.Jimi Hendrix – Isle of Wight Performance[Video: weirdopedia]Gilmour also recently announced his plan to auction off over 100 guitars from his personal collection, including a few used on some of Pink Floyd’s most well-known recordings.[H/T Guitar Player]
“It’s sad but rules are rules,” said Olympic 100m and 200m champion Usain Bolt, who is targeting more gold medals in Rio.He said it was important to send a strong message to the dopers.“Doping violations in track and field is getting really bad,” said the Jamaican, 29. “If you cheat or go or against the rules, this will scare a lot of people.”However, Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva – one of the 68 to appeal to CAS – said the ruling was “a blatant political order”, while the Russian Foreign Ministry called it a “crime against sport”.Isinbayeva, the 2012 gold medallist, 34, told the TASS News Agency: “Thank you all for this funeral for athletics.”The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) said it was “pleased CAS has supported its position”, adding that the judgment had “created a level playing field for athletes”.IAAF President Lord Sebastien Coe added: “This is not a day for triumphant statements. I didn’t come into this sport to stop athletes from competing.“Beyond Rio, the IAAF taskforce will continue to work with Russia to establish a clean safe environment for its athletes so that its federation and team can return to international recognition and competition.”Separately, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is considering calls to ban all Russian competitors from the Rio Games following a second report into state-sponsored doping.Some Russian athletes could compete in Rio as neutrals if they meet a number of criteria, including being repeatedly tested outside their homeland.At least two – 800m runner and doping whistleblower Yuliya Stepanova and US-based long jumper Darya Klishina – have gone down that path.Now the ruling by a three-person CAS panel has cleared the way for others.CAS said the ROC could still nominate athletes to compete as neutrals. However, a CAS spokesman said the panel had expressed concerns that this left “no possibility” for athletes to comply with the criteria.Three lawyers from Italy, Britain and the United States, widely regarded as amongst the most experienced judges on the court’s list of around 400 approved arbitrators.The chairman was Milan-based Luigi Fumagalli, who also sat on the panel which upheld FIFA’s four-month ban on Uruguay’s Luis Suarez for biting Italian defender Georgio Chiellini opponent at the 2014 World Cup.Retired judge Robert Reid, from England, has chaired disciplinary committees for the Premier League and sat in judgment of Pakistan cricketer Salman Butt’s failed appeal to CAS against a ban for fixing.Finally, Jeffrey Benz from Los Angeles is a former legal adviser to the United States Olympic Committee.Russia was suspended from track and field events by the IAAF in November 2015 following the publication of an independent World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) report that showed a culture of widespread, state-sponsored doping.Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko apologised for Russia’s failure to catch the cheats but stopped short of admitting the scandal had been state-sponsored.However, another WADA-commissioned report delivered earlier this week – the McLaren report – contained more damaging allegations and suggested senior figures in Russia’s sports ministry were complicit in an organised cover-up.The report implicated the majority of Olympic sports in the cover-up and claimed that Russian secret service agents were involved in swapping positive urine samples for clean ones.Following Monday’s publication of the McLaren report, the IOC faced calls to ban all Russian competitors from the 2016 Olympics and will hold a second emergency meeting on Sunday to decide its course of action.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Russian track and field athletes will remain banned from the Olympics following claims the country ran a state-sponsored doping programme.The Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) and 68 Russian athletes attempted to overturn the suspension, implemented by the body that governs world athletics.But the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has ruled it can stand.A handful of Russian athletes could still compete as neutrals at the Rio Games, which start on August 5.
Wedding pictures of Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas, who got married in Sarrians in southern France on June 29, are finally out. And we must say, Sophie looks straight out of a dream in stunning white lace outfit. The bride completed her look with a veil and light makeup.While, her hubby dear Joe chose a black tux for the ceremony. Sophie and Joe posted the first picture on their Instagram page and captioned it as, “Mr and Mrs Jonas”.At the wedding, Sophie’s Game of Thrones co-star and bestie Maisie Williams was the bridesmaid. Sophie and Joe experienced a mix of emotions as they said ‘I do’ for the second time. According to reports, the bride and the groom teared up while reading their vows as their friends and family cheered for them. The two looked very happy after the ceremony.Before the ceremony, Sophie and Joe enjoyed drinks with their bridesmaids and groomsmen respectively. While the bride-to-be had champagne with her girlfriends, the groom had a few shots with his groomsmen to ease the nerves.A day before the wedding, Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner twinned in bright red outfits at the rehearsal dinner, while their guests were asked to turn up in white. The 23-year-old actor looked breathtakingly beautiful in a simple long red gown with her hair worn down. She rounded off her look with silver high-heeled sandals and dark eyeshadow. The singer sported a dashing all-red suit in the same shade matching his lady love’s dress. The singer kept his pant legs cuffed above the ankles, and completed the look with dark red dress shoes.advertisementOn June 28, Turner wore an elegant white column gown and had her long blonde tresses tied in a classic updo. Earlier in the day on Thursday, the couple also hosted a pool party for their guests.The couple surprised the world when, after their stunning appearance at the Billboard Music Awards in May, Joe and Sophie got hitched in Vegas. It was all thanks to American DJ Diplo — who broke the news on social media by posting a series of Instagram stories from the private ceremony — that the world got know about the wedding.Jonas and Turner first sparked romance rumours in November 2016 when they were spotted together at a pre-MTV Europe Music Awards event. They made their relationship Instagram official by the following January. In October 2017, the power couple got engaged.Also read | Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas marry for the second time, get teary eyed during ceremonyAlso read | Sophie Turner, Joe Jonas look stunning at their pre-wedding celebrations. Details insideAlso see | Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas host a pre-wedding pool party in France. See pics