DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The state of Iowa is appealing a federal judge’s ruling last month that found unconstitutional a 2012 law that made it illegal to get a job at a livestock farm to conduct animal cruelty undercover investigations.Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller filed a motion Wednesday to appeal the case to the Eighth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.Last month, a federal judge sided with opponents who sued in October 2017 to challenge the law intended to stop organizations like People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals from conducting undercover investigations at farms and puppy mills.The judge found the law violates the First Amendment’s right to free speech.Federal courts have struck down similar laws in Idaho, Utah and Wyoming.
Month: August 2020
Clear Lake’s city administrator Scott Flory was our guest on “Ask the Mayor” on March 13th, 2019. Listen back and/or download the show via the audio player below.
JOHNSTON — Vice President Mike Pence will visit Iowa on Friday and Governor Kim Reynolds is flying to D.C. today for a meeting with President Trump, Pence and others at the White House.“I will be going to give them an update on what we’re doing in Iowa and really talk about how testing and case investigation, our assessment, really working with our processing plants and how we’ve tried to be proactive in that respect,” Reynolds said yesterday, “to give him an update on that and to thank them for their assistance throughout the process.”Based on yesterday’s reports, 16 percent of Iowa’s confirmed COVID-19 cases are employees at four meat packing plants in Columbus Junction, Tama, Waterloo and Perry. Pence told reporters yesterday in DC that there are concerns about virus hot spots in Chicago and Des Moines. A top doctor on the White House coronavirus task force also said the new cases identified in the Des Moines area are a concern.On Tuesday, Governor Reynolds said daily case counts are growing in Iowa because testing has ramped up. In Perry, 58 percent of the Tyson meat plant workers tested there have the virus.“We’re prioritizing areas where virus activity is high so that we can target our response,” she said.As of today, Hy-Vee is limiting the amount of meat customers may buy as processing plants shut down due to COVID-19 outbreaks among employees.“We’ve been in constant communication with the facilities to, you know, talk about the procedures that they’re putting in place to keep their employees safe,” Reynolds said during her daily news conference. “…They are working very diligently with their employees because they know it’s so important to keep that workforce safe and healthy.”The vice president’s staff has announced Pence will visit Hy-Vee headquarters in West Des Moines Friday for a discussion with farm and food supply company leaders about the security of the nation’s food supply. Pence also plans to meet with faith leaders to discuss the guidelines for how houses of worship may “responsibly reopen” in the midst of the pandemic.
DES MOINES — An online meeting involving Des Moines city leaders had to be called off last night after what’s described as an “offensive and derogatory cyber attack.”It was a joint video-teleconference of the Des Moines City Council and the Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission. A news release from the city says the meeting was interrupted by “racist, sexist and pornographic messages” which targeted members of the commission.Mayor Frank Cownie called it a “disgusting and sickening display of racial intolerance,” but adds, the meeting will be rescheduled. He says the city is looking for ways to improve and strengthen the safety and security of all public meetings. There’s no word on any arrests.
“After the second goal they scored two in a few minutes and it is hard to recover from that. In every press conference for the last few months you have said that the Premier League is done and I always said ‘no, it is still to be done’.“We will defend our position game by game.”Oxlade-Chamberlain said Liverpool knew they could beat the runaway Premier League leaders if they were at their best.“We know they like to play from the back and are good at it and we thrive when teams do that,” he said.“The second half when we went on a bit of a rampage for five or 10 minutes. The manager keeps telling me to shoot so I had a go and it went in.”Share on: WhatsApp Liverpool, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola insisted the Premier League title race is not over after his side slipped to a dramatic 4-3 defeat by Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s early strike was cancelled out by Leroy Sane’s goal shortly before half-time but three goals in nine scintillating minutes from Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah stunned City.Guardiola’s team threatened an astonishing comeback with late goals for Bernardo Silva and Ilkay Gundogan but Liverpool held on for a famous win.“Congratulations to Liverpool for the victory,” said Guardiola. “The game was in our hands at 1-1 but our finishing was not good and then it went suddenly to 4-1.“You have to be stable when you concede a goal and we were not solid enough. You have to live this kind of situation in the season.“The reality is we lose the game, we have a week to recover and prepare for the Newcastle game. All credit to the opponent, we know how difficult it is against a Jurgen Klopp team, so aggressive, at Anfield too. We did a good performance apart from a few minutes.
Guardiola thinks Paris Saint-Germain’s world-record £198 million signing of Neymar from Barcelona last August set the bar for the current transfer market.“We have spent a lot of money, I’m not denying it,” he said. “The problem is we had to spend a lot to change the oldest squad in the Premier League. That doesn’t happen in one transfer window. We needed more time.“Normally we try to be stable with the wages of the players because I think it is good for the team and stability of the club.“It’s £50 million today but years ago it was £20 million. In the past, what the club did, was at that price. Maybe in the future more clubs will spend more than £100 million on one player, like some teams already have. I think the prices next summer will be higher than this winter.”City remain stretched in attack, with Sergio Aguero their only fit senior centre forward as Gabriel Jesus continues to recover from knee ligament damage.Guardiola, though, has no intention of trying to sign another out-and-out striker, saying Raheem Sterling can move in from the wing if needed, as he did when City won 2-1 at Manchester United in December.“We have the two strikers and we do not need another one in that position,” the City boss explained. “Other players can play there in different circumstances. To buy a striker who can only play there: that is not going to happen.“Raheem can play there. He did at Old Trafford and in the United States in pre-season.“He showed me that he can handle that pressure without problems. He’s more of a winger, a No 10, but we are not going to buy a striker.”Share on: WhatsApp City pulls out of Sanchez deal, Man. United waitManchester, United Kingdom | AFP | Pep Guardiola has suggested Manchester City gave up on trying to sign Alexis Sanchez because of the player’s high wage demands.Sanchez looked set to leave Arsenal for the Etihad Stadium until Premier League leaders City ended their pursuit on Monday, leaving the way clear for second-placed Manchester United to move in.The Chile forward has agreed a four-and-a-half year contract at Old Trafford, worth a reported basic weekly wage of £365,000 ($506,000, 414,000 euros) with image rights and bonuses taking that above £500,000.City’s highest-earning players, by comparison, are on around £220,000 a week, and Guardiola did not feel that offering a significantly higher wage to a new signing would benefit the squad as a whole.It is understood the City manager was also unsure about bringing in Sanchez, whom he worked with at Barcelona, mid-season; having failed to secure a deal last August he would have preferred to wait until the summer, when the player’s Arsenal contract was set to expire.“In my time at Barcelona, my time at Bayern Munich and now here, I never pushed the club to say I want those players when the club believes and says that the price is too much,” Guardiola said Friday.“I respect that decision and I move forward to look for another solution because the stability of the club is the most important thing.”– ‘Spent a lot of money’ –Guardiola, whose table-toppers play Newcastle on Saturday, has spent heavily in reshaping City’s squad since his arrival from Bayern in July 2016.Last summer alone, he spent more than £200 million on five players, with around £120 million of that going on three full-backs, in Kyle Walker, Benjamin Mendy and Danilo.City’s Premier League rivals have also been willing to pay significant sums for high-quality players, though, with Liverpool buying centre-back Virgil van Dijk from Southampton for £75 million earlier this month, and Manchester United paying £89 million for Paul Pogba at the start of last season.
“It was my goal, it flicked off my shoulder and went in,” Kane said.Eriksen added: “He celebrated like it was his goal so I will have to take his word for it.”England international Kane was making his first start since he injured an ankle in Tottenham’s 4-1 win over Bournemouth on March 11.He boasts a formidable record against Stoke, with eight goals in four appearances before this game, but looked a little rusty on his return from injury.Tottenham had won their past four Premier League games against Stoke by a four-goal margin — a top-flight record -– although they had to work much harder here.For all their struggles this season, Stoke had a glorious chance to take the lead.The overlapping Erik Pieters skipped down the left flank and teased a low cross into the penalty area for Diouf, only for the Senegalese player’s composure to desert him as he lifted a shot over the bar. Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom | AFP | Christian Eriksen scored twice as Tottenham Hotspur clinched a 2-1 Premier League win over Stoke City following Harry Kane’s return to the starting line-up after an ankle injury.Kane thought he had got on the scoresheet for Tottenham after the winner was initially credited to him and television replays appeared inconclusive.However, Eriksen was subsequently attributed with the goal that secured the points for Spurs after his earlier opener had been cancelled out by Mame Biram Diouf. The alertness of Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland to scamper off his line and save at the feet of Son Heung-min after he had latched onto Dele Alli’s intelligent lofted through ball kept the score goalless before the interval.However, there was an inevitably about Tottenham’s approach and just minutes after the restart they carved open the Potters’ defence to take the lead.Alli sprung the Stoke offside trap and rather than pick out Kane, who had his back to goal, slid the ball into the path of Eriksen who, with Pieters trailing in his wake, crisply struck the ball past Butland.Diouf made amends for his earlier miss moments later when he raced on to Xherdan Shaqiri’s ambitious through ball to equalise for the Potters.Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris came off his line only to collide with Diouf and the ball dropped for the dazed striker to roll it into the vacant net.The Stoke striker immediately fell to the ground with a head injury but after treatment from the club’s medical staff was fit to continue.Tottenham regained the advantage just after the hour mark when Eriksen curled a free-kick into the penalty area and Kane appeared to get the faintest of headers to glance it past Butland.The goal was initially credited to the England striker although TV replays were inconclusive as to whether the 24-year-old got a feather of a touch on it and it was later awarded to Eriksen.Stoke almost equalised with 11 minutes to go when Shaquiri’s curling free-kick rattled the crossbar but Tottenham held on to claim the points.Share on: WhatsApp
Sakhir, Bahrain | AFP | Sebastian Vettel marked his 200th Formula One race with a thrilling and brilliantly-judged victory for Ferrari in Sunday’s dramatic Bahrain Grand Prix.The four-time ex champion, on severely-worn tyres, came home narrowly ahead of Valtteri Bottas and the Finn’s Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton in a nail-biting finish to an intriguing contest.French rookie Pierre Gasly took a stunning fourth place for the Honda-powered Toro Rosso team ahead of Kevin Magnussen of Haas.It was Vettel’s second win in as many races this season, the 49th of his career and extended his lead ahead of Hamilton in the drivers’ championship to 17 points after the Englishman delivered a dazzling drive from ninth on the grid to finish only six seconds adrift.Both have won four championships and, this season, are battling to secure an historic fifth title.“Wow!” screamed Vettel as he crossed the line. “These tyres were done – they were done for the last 10 laps.“I came on the radio to say everything was under control, but that was a lie! I thought Bottas would catch me and I just tried to keep it as clean as possible.”Bottas said: “We were on the harder compound and I knew there was a chance. I tried to catch him, but it was just not enough. Extremely disappointing.”Hamilton, who started ninth after being given a five-place penalty for a gearbox change, said he was satisfied. “I am happy,” he said. “It was damage limitation. I started ninth so third is not that bad…”But it was not all good news for Ferrari as Vettel’s team-mate Finn Kimi Raikkonen failed to finish after colliding with a mechanic at a pit stop.The mechanic was taken to the circuit medical centre with a suspected broken leg.Both the Red Bulls of Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo also retired after the opening laps.Nico Hulkenberg was sixth for Renault ahead of Fernando Alonso and his McLaren team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne.Marcus Ericsson grabbed two points for Sauber by finishing ninth ahead of Esteban Ocon, who was 10th for Force India. – luck ended –The race began with temperatures falling from 29 and 35 degrees Celsius respectively for air and track.Vettel made a clean start and Bottas swept past Raikkonen to split the Ferraris on the opening lap.This lifted spirits for Mercedes, but Hamilton, down in ninth to resist a charging lunge by Verstappen at the start of lap two.From 15th on the grid, the Red Bull driver had reached the top ten, but his luck ended when he banged wheels with Hamilton and punctured his left rear tyre.As the Dutchman idled back to the pits, his Red Bull team-mate Ricciardo slowed and stopped at the side of the track. A Virtual Safety Car was deployed.Verstappen pitted and re-joined, but his race was over when, like Ricciardo, he stopped and retired.This left Hamilton to make up places and after slipping to 10th he regained ninth and then passed Alonso, Hulkenberg and Ocon in one move.Vettel pitted after 19 laps, passing the lead to Bottas, and rejoining fourth. Two laps later, Raikkonen also came in for a Ferrari pit-stop that elevated Hamilton to second.Bottas finally pitted after 21 laps, in a 3.8 seconds stop for medium tyres that were expected to see him complete the race – while both Ferrari ran on softs.In the lead, Hamilton was 5.3 seconds clear of Vettel after 22 laps, an advantage trimmed to half a second by lap 25 with Bottas five seconds adrift in third.A frustrated Vettel finally burst past the defensive Hamilton, on his original tyres, to re-gain the lead on lap 26. Hamilton then pitted, also for mediums, which left both Mercedes on a one-stop strategy and Ferrari requiring another stop each.With further stops required, Ferrari’s problems were compounded after 36 laps when Raikkonen came in and inadvertently ran over a mechanic as he pulled away.It was his second unsafe release of the weekend and his third in a race.Unaffected, Vettel pushed to make the most of an emergency one-stop strategy, resisting Bottas all the way to the flag.Share on: WhatsApp
Since returning from a World Cup where he helped Belgium finish in third place, Hazard has scored seven goals in six Premier League starts and two substitute appearances.“I can finish with Chelsea,” Hazard told Sky Sports ahead of Saturday’s match with Manchester United. “No problem at all. I am very happy with this club, with the team, my family is happy here.“So If I don’t go to Spain, it is not a problem.“I love the fans — I think the fans love me.“What happens in the future, I will be happy, so that’s it.”Hazard joined Chelsea from Lille in June 2012 and signed his current deal in February 2015.If no contract extension is agreed by the end of this season, Chelsea could see Hazard leaving on a free transfer at the end of the following campaign, so an agreed move could yet be in the interest of the club as well as the player.Share on: WhatsApp London, United Kingdom | AFP | Eden Hazard can still become the best footballer in the world even if he stays at Chelsea, Blues manager Maurizio Sarri said Friday.Hazard has made no secret either of his desire to win the Ballon d’Or, the annual prize for the best player in the game, or wanting to play for Real Madrid.The 27-year-old Belgian playmaker has though insisted it would “not be a problem” for him to finish his career with Chelsea if a move to Real was not forthcoming.Meanwhile Sarri said Hazard could realise his individual ambitions while remaining at Stamford Bridge.“He’s a fantastic player,” Italian boss Sarri said. “And so it will be very important for us if he will remain with us. Very, very important.“I think also he can win everything, also the Ballon d’Or, here, without playing in Spain.“Because, for example, if Chelsea were able to win the Champions League, Belgium won the European Championships, he would be able to win everything, without playing in Spain.”Hazard’s current Chelsea contract expires in June 2020 and for all his talk of wanting to play for Spanish giants Real, there has been no dip in his form for the Blues this season.
Pogba know it all, says Zidane Zidane praise for Man Utd’s Pogba opens door to Real bidMadrid, Spain | AFP | Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane opened the door to a possible bid for Paul Pogba on Saturday when he hailed the Manchester United star as “a player who knows how to do everything”.The French World Cup winner has thrived under new United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer but has made no secret of his admiration for Real.“It’s one of the biggest clubs in the world. I’ve always said Real Madrid is a dream club for every player,” the midfielder said last week.Zidane is a self-confessed Pogba fan, the Real boss telling a press conference: “I really like the player, that’s nothing new.“I know him personally… He’s a really different player, somebody who brings something few others can to the pitch. “He’s capable of doing everything. There are midfielders who know how to defend really well, others who are very good in attack. He knows how to do everything.”Zidane, who returned as Real manager after replacing Santiago Solari, added: “One day, if he has the chance to do something else after Manchester United, he’s always said that Madrid was a club that interested him a lot.”Pogba, 26, moved from Juventus to United for 105 million euros in 2016 with his contract terminating in 2021.Spanish media suggest Real will go on a massive recruitment drive this summer with a war chest of up to 500 million euros.Share on: WhatsApp