Call: 0123456789 | Email: info@example.com

Month: December 2019


first_imgDISCLAIMER: Like negotiations with Ed Woodward, don’t take this too seriously.Pedro looks set to sign for Chelsea, having snubbed Manchester United.And we’ve only gone and secured the first completely made up translation of the Spanish attacker’s first press conference as a Blue.For lots of funny, entertaining sports videos, check out youtube.com/talksportlast_img


first_imgBefore his £20m Real Madrid transfer, Liverpool wanted Toni Kroos and used captain Steven Gerrard to tap the midfielder up.“I said we’d be p****** into the wind with this one” Gerrard told Reds’ manager Brendan Rodgers, as revealed in the Anfield icon’s autobiography being serialised in the Daily Mail and as it turned out, he was right.Kroos, who won the World Cup with Germany, left Bayern Munich for 2014 Champions League winners Real last summer, with Gerrard adding he knew the Spanish club were ready to pounce, but sent the player a text anyway to see if he fancied moving to Merseyside. “God loves a trier, and so I gave it a whirl,” he said.Here’s a selection of tweets from Liverpool fans who read the extract from Gerrard’s book… Toni Kroos snubbed Liverpool for Real Madrid 1last_img read more


first_imgHarry Redknapp believes Manchester City are well set for Premier League AND Champions League glory this season.City have made a storming start to the season, with five wins in succession putting Manuel Pellegrini’s side four points clear at the top of the Premier League.Redknapp has been blown away by their early form, and he fully expects them to see off the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United to clinch the title.“Manchester City look almost uncatchable even at this early stage,” he told talkSPORT.“I couldn’t have tipped them at the start after last year. The likes of Yaya Toure and Vincent Kompany didn’t look the same players but now they look fitter, they look really focused.“City have also made some great signings this summer. They look on a different level at the moment.”Redknapp is also predicting City to take the Champions League by storm, as they prepare to kick off their campaign against Juventus on Tuesday night. “I have got a feeling Manchester City will have a good run at the Champions League,” he said. “If you asked me to pick an outsider, I would have a little flutter on Man City. They have got the players.”last_img read more


first_img Former West Ham midfielder Morgan Amalfitano Former West Ham midfielder Morgan Amalfitano has offers from three French clubs.The 30-year-old left Upton Park by mutual consent at the start of October after reportedly falling out of favour with new boss Slaven Bilic.Since then the Frenchman has been on the hunt for a new club in an attempt to kickstart his career once again.And, according to Calcio Mercato, Amalfitano now has offers from Bordeaux, Lorient and Guingamp.All three Ligue 1 clubs are keen to snap up the free agent and have presented his agent with a variety of proposals.Amalfitano is said to be keen on a return to France and it is now up to him to decide where his future lies. 1last_img


first_img Roman Abramovich left scratching his head 1 Chelsea stormed into a 2-0 lead after just 13 minutes of their first match since Jose Mourinho was sacked. Coincidence?Not many people think so, judging by the reaction on social media.If it left Roman Abramovich scratching his head, plenty of observers seemed to think the reason behind Chelsea’s sudden return to form was obvious.Check out a selection of the response to Chelsea scoring twice against Sunderland early on at Stamford Bridge…last_img


first_img Manchester City playmaker Kevin De Bruyne suffers injury against Everton 1 Manchester City have been dealt a blow with the agent of Kevin De Bruyne claiming the playmaker is likely to be sidelined for around six weeks.Belgium international De Bruyne suffered knee and ankle injuries in Wednesday’s League Cup semi-final win over Everton.The 24-year-old scored a vital – albeit controversial – goal and set up another after coming off the bench in the 3-1 win at the Etihad Stadium, before being carried off late on following an awkward fall.He appeared to get his studs caught in the turf and then landed on his knee as City closed in on their 4-3 aggregate triumph, which sealed a final trip to Wembley to face Liverpool.Initial medical reports suggest the problem is not related to the cruciate ligament, but the player’s representative Patrick De Koster has claimed the midfielder would likely be out of action for around six weeks.“Kevin is sad. His dream is to always be playing football. He will miss games like the League Cup final and in the Champions League, which are important,” De Koster told Sky Sports News.“But he knows they [City] are a good team, that the other players will do what they have to do, and maybe win the game for him, and also that [injuries] is what happens in football.“He is sad, of course, but he told me, ‘this [happens] in a match, [is something] which can arrive in football, and the only thing I can do is to work hard and to come back’.”The full extent of the injury is yet to be determined, but De Koster feels the midfielder will not be able to return to action until the end of February at the earliest.“[It is] the tear in the ankle and also the lateral [knee] ligaments are such that I think for sure he will need six weeks of rehabilitation, but they are still going to do some more medical [tests] today and at the end of the day,” he added.“So maybe tomorrow morning we will have the final news about the time he will need to be 100 per cent again.”last_img read more


first_img1 Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink Guus Hiddink has admitted he has been approached to manage in the Chinese Super League.The 69-year-old Dutchman was installed as Chelsea caretaker boss in December after Jose Mourinho’s departure, but says he had chances to manage in China.“I had some possibilities to go there in the recent past,” said Hiddink, who did not expand on the comment.Ramires was sold to Jiangsu Suning by Chelsea last month for a reported £25million as part of a wider investment in football, with other players also heading to the Chinese Super League.Jiangsu Suning are managed by former Chelsea defender Dan Petrescu, while Sven Goran Eriksson and Luis Felipe Scolari are also bosses in China.Hiddink reckons China is an attractive option for many, but so too is the Premier League, which has a global appeal and will soon have a further influx of cash from the new broadcast coverage deal, which is worth £5billion domestically.“Of course when you travel around the world, the Premier League is so attractive, attracting a lot of people,” added Hiddink, whose side play Manchester United on Sunday.“In the biggest cities to the smallest villages, wherever in the world there is a satellite showing Premier League.“(And) clubs in England cannot complain about having no income in the near future.”last_img read more


first_imgWASHINGTON – The Agriculture Department will speed up warnings about contaminated meat in the future, officials said Thursday as they sought to quell criticism of an 18-day delay in seeking the recall of millions of pounds of tainted ground beef. Briefing reporters, department officials acknowledged that they knew as early as Sept. 7 that frozen hamburger patties could be contaminated after preliminary tests indicated the presence of E. coli bacteria strain O157:H7. They said it was impossible to seek a recall without conducting a more sophisticated test to confirm original results, but said they would re-evaluate what the USDA can do better to warn the public sooner. “Let me be clear from the beginning, at this point we weren’t able to take action based on the initial test,” said David Goldman, assistant administrator of the USDA’s Office of Public Health Science. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityStill, “this agency is not completely satisfied with the time elapsed and the issuance of the recall,” he said. “We will be reviewing data related to this recall as well as our own protocol to determine how we might improve.” Richard Raymond, the department’s undersecretary for food safety, then added: “It’s a policy we will be changing here.” The department’s response comes after news reports about an Agriculture Department e-mail showing that the department knew Sept. 7 about possible contamination but waited 18 days before concluding that the Topps Meat Co. should issue a recall. The recall that began Sept. 25 was soon expanded to cover 21.7 million pounds of hamburger produced by Topps, based in Elizabeth, N.J. It’s the second-largest beef recall in U.S. history. A Florida teen was hospitalized with kidney failure in August, and the meat her family bought was tested by the USDA. The e-mail – from Kis Robertson, an employee of the USDA’s Food Safety Inspection Service – was provided by the teen’s family lawyer, Scott P. Schlesinger, on Thursday. Existence of the e-mail was reported Wednesday by the Chicago Tribune. “They should have recalled immediately. That’s not even a maybe,” Schlesinger said. Asked about the delay, Topps spokeswoman Michele Williams referred questions to the USDA. “We’ve been fully cooperating with their investigation and certainly taking their recommendations,” she said. In the news briefing, Agriculture Department officials said the Sept. 7 preliminary results yielded 13 negative samples and just one positive result. Subsequently, USDA scientists conducted a more sophisticated test, known as the Pulsed Field Gel Electrophoresis, that took an additional seven days due to some unexpected glitches. Those results became available Sept. 14, but the USDA did not act immediately because the suspected meat had been opened in the consumer’s home, raising the question of whether it had been contaminated there. As part of USDA policy, the department does not immediately seek a recall until it gets a second confirmation elsewhere, which it received days later when New York officials reported they had run their own tests on a separate suspected E coli case and found that the beef had tested positive. The USDA’s Raymond acknowledged that the department could have moved forward as soon as Sept. 14. He said the department in the future will seek a recall if officials have strong evidence of contamination, regardless of whether the tested meat had been opened in the home. “There’s always a possibility of contamination in the home rather than the place of manufacture, but it’s unlikely,” Raymond said. As of noon Wednesday, 29 people in eight states had E. coli infections matching the strain found in the Topps patties, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported. None has died. The first illness began July 5, and the last began Sept. 11, the CDC said. The Agriculture Department is investigating in an attempt to find the source of the E. coli strain, which is harbored in the intestines of healthy cattle. The CDC reported these states and numbers of cases: Connecticut, 2; Florida, 1; Indiana, 1; Maine, 1; New Jersey, 6; New York, 9; Ohio, 1; and Pennsylvania, 8. Privately held Topps, which is believed to be the leading U.S. maker of frozen hamburger patties, said it sells its products to supermarkets and institutions such as schools, hospitals, restaurants and hotels.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more


first_imgWithout a competitive wage agreement, no partner will join Chrysler, and that could make Cerberus look for other options to get a return on its investment, such as selling off the company in pieces. “I don’t think the membership at Chrysler really quite understands the gravity of the situation,” Cole said. Chrysler, he said, is likely to cut models, so it can’t guarantee next-generation products for individual plants as GM did, he said. Workers know the risk – Cerberus could sell off the company – and they’re aware of global competition, said Chris Ryan, a worker at a transmission plant in Kokomo, Ind. But Ryan, a third-generation Chrysler worker, is reluctant to give up benefits, such as pensions, that his grandfather helped win with a long strike. “It is a very tense situation,” Ryan said. “Do you want to just go along willingly or do you want to put up some resistance?” The chief opponent of the contract is Bill Parker, the UAW’s national Chrysler negotiating chairman and president of Local 1700 at suburban Detroit’s Sterling Heights assembly plant. Top UAW leaders were to meet with Parker and officers of his local Monday afternoon in advance of the local’s vote Wednesday. Locals representing about 7,000 workers in Kokomo vote today, and locals in Sterling Heights and Warren, with about 9,000 members, vote Wednesday. A negative vote by Chrysler members wouldn’t damage UAW President Ron Gettelfinger’s credibility, said David Weil, an associate professor of economics at Boston University. “If you think about what they’re negotiating and what a major change this agreement really is … it’s not surprising that this thing has not sort of just sailed through,” Weil said. Melvin Thompson, president of a local in Warren, said he’s been lobbying in favor of the pact because it saves jobs at several operations and preserves communities. If Chrysler is more competitive, that would bring job security to workers, he said. “We know that our security lies in producing a high-quality product that customers love at a low production cost,” he said. “Simply promising you a product doesn’t promise anything.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.UAW workers haven’t rejected a national contract since Chrysler employees did in 1982, said Mike Smith, director of the Walter P. Reuther Library at Wayne State University. Opponents mainly object to a lower-tier wage scale for many new hires of around $14 per hour and new vehicle guarantees for factories that mainly run for the life of the contract but are less than what General Motors Corp. guaranteed workers in its contract settlement. If the contract is voted down, the UAW likely would return to the bargaining table to try to address members’ concerns, said Canadian Auto Workers President Buzz Hargrove. “If you’re a bargainer, then you’ll know if it’s been rejected you’ll have to go back and try to get a better deal in those areas,” Hargrove said. Chrysler sells most of its vehicles in North America and has little global presence. Its new owner, private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management LP, needs a partner to give it the global economy of scale that GM, its main competitor, already is using, Cole said. DETROIT – The tentative deal between the United Auto Workers and Chrysler LLC was hailed as a historic step forward for the company just a couple of weeks ago. Many rank-and-file members, however, have rejected that message. In early voting, six local unions representing more than 11,000 workers have turned down the pact, while four locals representing about 5,500 workers have said “yes.” It’s nearly impossible to keep a running total of the votes because local union officials give out only percentages and not the number of people who voted. Yet with large chunk of the 45,000 workers covered by the contract still voting, UAW leaders in Detroit have started a heavy lobbying campaign for passage. Several big locals in Indiana and Michigan are scheduled to vote today and Wednesday. “It’s going to be close. They’re going to work very hard here at the end to pull this together,” David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, said Monday. last_img read more


first_img“I think I’ve been playing well,” Glennon said. “But the coaches will go with the option they think they will win with.” Georgia Tech (5-4, 2-4) saw its slim hopes of making a second straight trip to the ACC championship game go down the drain. The Yellow Jackets were simply horrible after jumping ahead, 3-0, on their second possession. Rubbing more salt in Georgia Tech’s wounds: Glennon was among four Virginia Tech players whose jersey mysteriously disappeared before the game, forcing them to suit up in the Yellow Jackets’ white road jerseys. Glennon’s name was written in magic marker on the back, and the home team’s nickname was blacked out across the front of the shirt, which was trimmed in black and gold instead of maroon and orange. “Branden (Ore) wrote it on there first in caps and lower case,” Glennon said. “I then did it in all caps.” Maybe Taylor Bennett should have worn a Virginia Tech jersey. The Georgia Tech quarterback threw four interceptions, and even a 35-yard completion to James Johnson went awry when the Georgia Tech receiver was stripped of the ball and the Hokies recovered. “I’ve never thrown four picks,” Bennett said, shaking his head. “Not anywhere.” Victor Harris had two of the interceptions. Freshman Josh Nesbitt also got a shot at quarterback, but he overthrew a wide-open Johnson on what would have been a certain touchdown. For good measure, Nesbitt threw the Yellow Jackets’ fifth interception.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Wearing a replacement jersey provided by the home team when his own disappeared, Glennon threw two long touchdown passes and ran for another score to lead No. 11 Virginia Tech to a 27-3 win over Georgia Tech on Thursday night. “It was funny,” Glennon said. “That was the jersey of a school I almost went to” coming out of high school. The Hokies (7-2, 4-1 ACC) bounced back just fine from their shocking collapse against Boston College, when they squandered a 10-point lead in the final minutes. Glennon made his second straight start in place of freshman Tyrod Taylor, who was sidelined again by a sprained ankle. The replacement starter, who lost the job to Taylor after the second game, made the most of it by throwing for 296 yards, including a 40-yard TD pass to Justin Harper and a 71-yarder to Josh Morgan. Virginia Tech moved into a first-place tie with rival Virginia in the Coastal Division. The teams will meet in the final game of the regular season. COLLEGE FOOTBALL: In a substitute jersey, Glennon leads Virginia Tech past Georgia Tech. By Paul Newberry The Associated Press ATLANTA – Sean Glennon wore a Georgia Tech jersey. There was no doubt he was playing for Virginia Tech. last_img read more